In a nutshell, these are the 5 things you didn’t know, but soon will, about the classic video game Pac-Man from the creator of the game Toru Iwatani:
- The game was created to attract girls – to computer games that is.Â The idea was that it would appeal to both sexes.
- Each ghost has specific orders – it is only actually Blinky, the red ghost, that pursues you throughout the game.
- Do you know how Pac-Man got it’s name? Â Well apparently “….In Japanese, “puck puck” is akin to the U.S. saying “munch munch”. So the original name – Puck-Man – translated as “Munch man”. (A savvy Midway Games official changed it to Pac-Man when the game hit the U.S. to discourage vandals from shaving off part of the “P,” thereby creating an obscene word.)”
- The one thing Iwatani wanted in the game that didn’t end up there was to have a shelter which would move up and down the screen ‘pinching’ the ghosts.
- The ghosts were very nearly all one colour, but despite the request from the president of Namco Iwatani put the question to the testers, non of whom wanted a single colour.
via BruDirect who also credit blog.games.yahoo.
So, there you are, if you learn nothing else today, you know a little more about Pac-Man. To give you an excuse to bring up these facts in conversation why not pick up a Pac Man t-shirt.